Sunday 6 March 2011

Update and GBS Open Day

Well, not a lot to report.  It has been pretty cold out in the garage for the last few weeks so I have not done much at all.  I re-plumbed in swirl pot with the right size fuel pipe and also fitted the steering rack and steering column.

I have finally got the diff and drive shafts back from being checked over and re-furbed.  We had to get a new back plate as in trying to get the filler plug out, the plate cracked.  Anyway, it is now fitted with a new back plate, with a new plug and the diff is all ready to go back in.  The drive shafts have new boots so all is good.

The only other main thing I have done is to get the car down from the trellis stands to axle stands whilst it is still light enough for me and the son-in-law to lift it down.  I know some people are lucky enough to have engine hoists or block and tackle in the roof of the garage, but I don't, so it has to come down using man power.  It does mean that it will be a bit harder to work on, but never mind.  I think I need a low stool to sit on that has casters on it so I can move around whilst doing things to the car.

Saturday 5th March - Great British Sportscars (GBS) held an open day to celebrate 1 year since the new directors took over.  It was an overcast day and rained or drizzled a lot.  About a dozen people braved it and turned up in their Robin Hood 2Bs and there was 1 Zero.  I had chance to have another look around at some part completed cars and take loads of photos as a guidance.  I also got to talk to some fellow Zero builders and compare notes as to where we were in our respective builds.  I also picked up a few parts, not that I am ready for them yet, but it seemed silly to go all that way and not pick up something.

When I first got the kit, I was in a rush to start getting things on the car and now, when I look at other cars, I see I haven't quite got things right.  Accordingly, a few parts will have to come off and be re-fitted, but this is no real issue and it is better that I get it right now, when the parts are easy to get at, than for them to be picked up at IVA stage!!

No comments:

Post a Comment