The next arrival was the mini indicators (not from a Mini but mini in size). Here are the items laid out ready for fitting.
The next items to arrive were the new shock absorbers (or dampers). These are the new ones that have been designed by GBS, working with Dampertech (www.dampertech.co.uk). They are nitron filled and look the mutts!!
Anyway, I had a rare day off work and as the weather wasn't really conducive to a drive, I thought I may as well get on with the upgrades. First job of the day way to get some head light markings from the old lights, so I would have something to line up the new ones with. This was a simple task of shining the dip beam pattern on to the garage door and then put some masking tape where the line of the beams are. This will at least give me a good starting point for the new lights. I can take the car to get the lights properly aligned later.
So it was off with the bonnet and the nose cone first.
Then it was off with the old 7 inch lights.
I wanted to make use of the existing wiring loom as this included headlight and side light wiring. It was a simple task of removing it from one light unit and adding it to the next. It took a couple of attempts to get it right as far as the 4 way connector to the loom was concerned. I initially only had main beam and nothing else, but a quick look at the GBS wiring diagram and I was on the right track, but not before I had blown the side light bulb! A quick trip to the local motor factors and that was sorted. I plugged the new light in and checked all the lighting functions and as they say, the jobs a good 'un. I then repeated the process for the other side. I won't actually fit the lights on to the car until some other jobs have been completed. It stops them being knocked and also help with access.
I then moved on to the front indicators. First job was to remove the old indicators. This is when I noticed that there was some slight cracking and crazing in the fibreglass where they were fitted. I think this is caused by the extra weight they carry and the extension bars causing them to bounce up and down a bit. Not a lot I can do about this without having the nose cone repaired and re-painted, and that is not possible at the present time.
When fitting the new, very light weight, smaller units, I added a couple of penny washers either side of the fibreglass to add some extra support. You can just see one in the image below and you can see that I have sprayed it blue so it is less obvious. You can also see how much smaller these units are.
Here are both fitted.
Final job was to finish the wiring inside the nose cone. This was a simple job of joining 2 wires, solder and wrap in tape.
Final job of the day was to plug in the wires to make sure they worked OK, which I am happy to say, they did. Again, the nose cone won't be put back on the car until other jobs have been completed.