Sunday 15 January 2012

Clutch Cable

Today I started off by doing a few little bits of wiring.  The fan needed wiring as did the headlamps.  I realised I didn't have the proper sockets so just fitted the spade connectors for the time being.  I also did a bit of tidying of some of the cables to get them out of the way.  There is still more to do, but each time I do a few bits the list gets shorter.

On to the clutch cable.  There is a mounting bracket near the pedal that the cable passes through, well it is supposed to.  The reality is that connector that fits to the pedal won't go through the hole so a slot has to be cut in the side of it.  Thankfully I have an angle grinder so it was a simple job to put the slot in for the cable to slide through.


Here is the cable in place.



The clevis that fits to the pedal came without a pin so I had to fabricate one.  I took a stainless steel bolt, cut it down and drilled a hole for a split pin, as shown below.


Finally, a small V shaped notch has to be cut from the pedal to stop the cable pulling on its self.  Again, out came the angle grinder, and few seconds and a lot of sparks later, here is the notch.

Final job was to fit the cable to the clutch pressure lever and adjust the nut to take the slack out of the cable.  Once done, it was into the car to try the pedal.  It has no where near as much movement as my daily driver, but that is just the nature of the beast and something I will have to get used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment