Sunday 2 October 2011

Tunnel Panels and Screen Saver.

Not a lot to report this week but I did want to at least do something.  I decided to have a quick look at fitting the front mudguards.  Looking at various photos of other cars, there doesn't seem to be a particular place or way to fit them.  Some people cut parts of the fibreglass around the mounting brackets out, others don't.  Here they are just laid in place.  The nose cone has also been properly fixed on place.


Now the criteria from the IVA manual states that the front of the mudguard must be at least 30 degrees from the vertical from the centre of the wheel and the rear must be at least 50 degrees from the vertical.  The rear edge must also not be more that 150mm above a centre line.  I drew myself a reference guide (below) and it is no problem to fall within the guidelines.  The only issue is how to fix them.  I need to ask some advice on this before I go any further.


With the mudguards put to one side, and wanting to do something productive, I decided to cover some of the centre tunnel panels using the leatherette supplied.    First thing is to cut out the material allowing about 2 to 2.5 inches of overlap.  Then coat both panels with spray adhesive.  Allow it to dry for a couple of minutes and then lay the leatherette on to the panel, smoothing it out as you go.  It really does stick well, well it did today as it was very warm, so you don't have too much time to adjust it.


Once the main surface is stuck, turn the piece over and apply some more adhesive to the underside and then you can move on to the sides and over laps.  This is where the extra material is required.  You will just need to trim it as required.  Here is the finished item from the top

And here it is from underneath.


I then put the 2 pieces together to see what the finished article looks like.  This is from the front.


This is from the back.


And finally, I couldn't resist firing the Sat Nav up using an auxiliary socket in my main car.  I am really pleased with the finished item.  I even managed to get a Caterham 7 screen saver.  Shame the car is adorned by a young lady .... not!!!  Sod the directions, I'll just keep the screen saver!!


No comments:

Post a Comment