Thursday 2 June 2011

Rear Panel Final Fit

The time was right to finally get round to fitting the rear panel.  I am sure other builders have fitted them a lot quicker than me, but I wanted to make sure it was right.  I am still not sure it is 100% right, but it is too late now!!

Final couple of things to do before the final fit.  First was a bit of wiring whilst it was easy to get to.  This was the fuel pump to join it to the loom.  Next was the boot panels.  I had been to the factory earlier in the week to get some more parts and whilst I was there, found out that the flat panel for the boot I had got had been superseded with a frame and inspection panel.  This is a much neater arrangement.  First thing was to drill and fit the frame panel.  Some Sikaflex and rivets later, it looked like this.


Next job was the side panels.  I had been unsure as to whether the top lip went over or under the chassis frame.  My factory trip confirmed that they were designed to go under, so under they went.  Later chassis may have these panels already welded in place.  Again copious amounts of Sikaflex and some rivets were used to hold these in place.


Finally, I got round to fitting the rear panel.  I had trial fitted it and removed it probably half a dozen times so it was time to go for it.  A final dry fit to drill some holes for rivets in the side rails and also under the panel under the back of the car and it time to clean it all up and, again, add copious amounts of Sikaflex to the chassis rails where the panel will be riveted.

Once that was done it was all offered in to place.  I did start to panic a little here, worrying that the Sikaflex might go off quite quickly, but I actually had plenty of time to put it all in place.  I started by securing the rear stays and then lining up all the rivet holes I had just drilled.  Once these were all lined up, it was time to start riveting.  I started under the back of the car and this took a bit of jiggery pokery to line up but it got there in the end.  I then finished the rivets on the side panels at the front of the rear panel.

Next job was to add some beading round the inner edge of the U shape former that makes up the top of the boot and finally work my way over the crescent to finish off the wheel arch shape.


This is a view of the inside of the nearside panel.  A reasonably neat job that will get covered in carpet at some point.  You can see I have started to cut some carpet and have just dry fitted the rear panel to see what it looks like.  I have a roll of carpet to cut it all out from but I have found out that GBS now do a laser cut carpet set that will include all the panels, including the boot.  I will probaly buy pne of those as it will save me hours of measuring, cutting, triming etc.


This is a view of the rear panel finally finished and bonded on place.  Too late to change it now!!! 

The final job for today was to fit the fuel filler cap and pipe.  Very simple to do but very fiddly to get the small washers and nuts on the bolts.


And here is the filler cap.  This is a vented cap and can only be opened and locked with a key.    This way it meets IVA requirements.


No comments:

Post a Comment