Tuesday 9 August 2011

Just a Small Update

I can't believe that we are in to August already and I haven't done an update for over a month.  Well there is a reason ... there is not much to report.  I have been really busy with one band or another and my weekends have just been hectic.  The plus side is that I am putting some money away for my next trip to get parts.

So what have I done I hear you ask?  Well I thought I would have a look at fitting the nose cone.  There isn't a lot of information on this available on line so I think it is trial and error.  First job, as always is to dummy fit it and see what it looks like with the bonnet on.  Looks pretty good , eh!  Starting to actually look like a car!


Now I am told by a fellow forumite on the RHOCAR forum, that there are 2 molds for the nose cone.  1 is a tight fit around the upper wishbone and 1 isn't and wraps around the wishbones.  I have the former so I am having to cut the nose cone to fit.  First thing is the alignment.  Looking at lots of pictures of recently built cars, it would appear that the nose cone should first sit snugly against the headlamp mounting bracket and it is cut and shaped accordingly.



To get it to fit this way means cutting the nose cone around the upper wishbone.  All I have done so far is to mask it up and then start cutting away in small chunks.  This way I will not cut away too much.  Below are a couple of images of it marked up and cut.



I still have a way to go and I think it will all be trial and error, there doesn't seem to be a 'right way' which I think this is a general rule with most kit cars!

The only other thing I have done is to replace the factory steering rack clamps with some nice aluminium ones, obtained from a RHOCAR member for a good price.  They were very straight forward to fit although I did have to drill 2 new holes in the mounting plate for the near side one.  I think they look 'bling'!!



The bracket you can see on the nearside clamp is to mount one of the radiator hoses to so it is not left dangling in thin air.

I am hoping to get a bit more time in the garage over the next couple of weekends so watch out for another update soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment