Saturday 29 January 2011

A Small Set Back

I was looking around the rear end today (ooh err missus!!) and remembered the tag on the diff that said to open it up, clean it and inspect it.  First, I thought, let's see if there is any diff oil in it.  I just need to take the fill plug out and have a look.  Well that was the first problem.  I put in the correct 10mm hex key (as found via the good old Internet) but it just rounded off.  Closer inspection shows that someone else had already tried this and well and truly buggered it up.  Cheers, thanks!!  OK, perhaps I can take the back plate off and inspect it all that way and get the filler plug out while the rear plate it off, you know, perhaps drill it out or hammer it off.  Anyway, do you think the star bolts would come undone ... would they 'eck as like!! (that's Yorkshire speak for no!).  Just to add insult to injury, I noticed that one of the drive shaft boot gators has got a split in it.  No point trying to sneak that past an IVA inspector, they are bound to find that.

So, I decided the only course of action was to remove the drive shafts and diff whilst they are easy to get at and have another look at the problem out on the bench.  I may just take them to a local garage and get them to sort the drive shaft boot and also to get the fill plug out.  I am sure they have some special way of doing it, probably with a blow torch or some other device, certainly will be something I don't have in my garage. It may cost me a couple of hours labour and some parts, but it would be worth it for some peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment