Wednesday 24 November 2010

Getting Close Now

Well, I had a busy weekend, clearing the garage out and getting it ready for the arrival.  I have a nice new tool box and a few new bits and bobs, but I still have a few things to get.  I have told the Vectra that she won't be able to stay in the garage for much longer, and she seems OK about it.  I will miss not having to defrost her on cold mornings but these are the sacrifices you have to make if you want to build a kit car.



Anyway, I spoke to the factory on Monday and was told that my GBS Zero kit will be ready for collection the week starting the 6th December 2010.  We agreed on a collection day of Wednesday 8th, just to give the guys chance to get everything together, although I was told they have everything in stock that I am having in the first delivery.

I have opted for the 2468 kit with the following little additions.  I have chosen the lowered floor and also to have the chassis and all suspension parts powder coated.  To me, this was a no brainer and will be a lot tougher than any finish I could apply, painting the chassis myself.  I have also had louvres put in to the bonnet as I think that really helps the look and I have also opted for a new factory wiring loom to save any electrical issues later on.  Finally I have ordered a donor pack as I just don't have the time, space or inclination to strip an old Sierra on my drive!  I have also asked for them to get it all shot blasted for me as, again, I don't have the facilities to clean the parts myself.

Colour wise, I have opted for white GRP panels.  I am very lucky that my son-in-law is a vehicle paint sprayer by trade and he has very kindly offered to paint the car for me so the white GRP probably won't stay white very long.  I still have to make my mind up what colour I am going to have it.  I keep looking at pictures of other builds and also other cars in the same mould (7 style clones) to get some inspiration.  At this point, I am erring towards a dark metalic blue, but that could change.  Fortunately I don't need to make a decision just yet but at some point the panels will need to be taken away to be painted before I fit them to the car.  Well that is the plan at the moment.  I need to talk it all through with the son-in-law to get his opinion as he may say it is better to paint them once they are fitted.

The last thing I can do before collection has also been done i.e. the van has been booked (£55 from Europcar for the day, LWB LDV van),  so all I can do now is wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment